Testing by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) revealed that the spread made by Kitchen by Brad Smoliak might permit the growth of clostridium botulinum, which causes botulism.

Customers who bought the affected 125 gram jars — which have best before dates of May 14 and July 14, 2014 — should throw them away, CFIA officials said in a release.

Food tainted with the toxin might not look or smell spoiled but can still cause illness, the CFIA said.

Symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, fatigue, dizziness, blurred or double vision, dry mouth, respiratory failure and paralysis. In severe cases the toxin can be fatal.