Header graphic for print
Botulism Blog Surveillance & Analysis on Botulism News & Outbreaks

Healthy Choice Island Blends Carrot Juice Recalled Due to Botulism Fear

Screen Shot 2012-06-22 at 4.28.27 PM.pngHealthy Choice Island Blends, Inc. of Los Angeles, CA, is recalling all sizes of LIQUID GOLD CARROT JUICE including 128oz, 64oz, 32oz, and 16 oz, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum, which can cause botulism, a serious and potentially fatal foodborne illness.

Foodborne botulism is a severe type of food poisoning caused by the ingestion of foods containing the potent neurotoxin formed during growth of the organism. Foodborne botulism can cause the following symptoms: general weakness, dizziness, double-vision and trouble with speaking, breathing and swallowing. Weakness of other muscles, abdominal distension and constipation may also be common symptoms.

People experiencing these problems should seek immediate medical attention. Consumers are warned not to use the product even if it does not look or smell spoiled.

Liquid Gold Carrot Juice was distributed in California and sold wholesale to produce companies.

Product was sold in plastic see-through containers in gallon, half-gallon, and quart sizes. Product has a white label branded Liquid Gold with picture of carrots and a glass of carrot juice, with UPC Code 7 63213 00130.

No illnesses have been reported to date.

Marler Clark represented the sons of a Florida woman who suffered botulism and died after drinking contaminated Bolthouse Farms carrot juice in 2006. She was one of 6 people in the U.S. and Canada who became ill with botulism poisoning after consuming the carrot juice.

In September of 2006, the Georgia Division of Public Health, Florida Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention joined to investigate several cases of botulism. The investigation ultimately resulted in the identification of Bolthouse Farms carrot juice as the source of the botulism outbreak. Three Georgia residents, the Florida woman, and two Ontario, Canada residents were diagnosed with botulism during the outbreak.