January 2010

Bao Ding Seafood of New York, NY 10002 is recalling Boiled Horse Mackerel, because it has the potential to be contaminated with clostridium botulinum, a bacterium which can cause life-threatening illness or death.

Consumers are warned not to use the product even if it does not look or smell spoiled.

Botulism, a potentially fatal form of food poisoning, causes the following symptoms: general weakness, dizziness, double-vision and trouble with speaking or swallowing. Difficulty in breathing, weakness of other muscles, abdominal distension and constipation may also be common symptoms. People experiencing these problems should seek immediate medical attention.

The recalled Boiled Horse Mackerel packaged in a vacuum packed plastic bag, net weight 450g, was sold in New York State.

The recall Boiled Horse Mackerel was discovered by NYS Dept. of Agriculture and Market food inspector during a routine inspection and subsequent analysis of product by food lab personnel confirming fish was not eviscerated prior to processing.

The Bellingham Herald reported this evening that consumers shouldn’t eat smoked salmon that comes in 7-ounce jars or jams made by local business Sug Chee Smoked Salmon because they were made in an unlicensed food processing plant, the Whatcom County Health Department warned Wednesday, January 6.

No illnesses have been reported from people eating food made by the business at 2707 Lummi Shore Road, said Tom Kunesh, supervisor for Environmental Health, which is the health department’s food-safety program.

The warning was issued because inspectors don’t know if the food was properly processed to destroy pathogens like Clostridium botulinum – a bacterium that can cause botulism and can be deadly.
Health officials focused specifically on Sug Chee Native American Wild Smoked King Salmon in 7-ounce glass jars, with or without jalapenos.

Warnings also were issued for huckleberry, elderberry and blackberry jam made by Sug Chee, although they posed less of a health risk than the jarred salmon, the health department said.